Sunday, December 19, 2010

D'oh! Rapper Turns Himself in for 1993 Shooting, Never Realized Victim Died

This dumbass apparently had been feeling guilty for shooting a guy 17 years ago and decided to turn himself in to police this week. The police then graciously informed him he just confessed to a murder.
The guilt-ridden rapper who confessed to a 17-year-old murder told The Post yesterday he didn't know his victim had died when he decided to come clean on the cold case.

Trevell Coleman -- whose rap name is G-Dep -- said cops dropped the bombshell after he went into the 25th Precinct station house Wednesday to admit to the Oct. 19, 1993, shooting of John Henkel.

"I was surprised -- for some reason, I really didn't think that he died," the bald and bearded Coleman said in a jailhouse interview.

"When they told me, I was like, 'Oh, I'm not going home after this.'"

Manhattan DA spokeswoman Erin Duggan said Coleman, 36, has now been charged with murder in the case. He faces life in prison.

The rapper -- who signed with Sean Combs' Bad Boy label in 1999, was dropped a few years later, and last August signed with Famous Records -- said his dark secret "weighed on me."

It got so bad for him, he confessed despite the objections of loved ones.

"I told my mom and my girlfriend that I wanted to confess, and they both told me to leave it in the past," he said. "[My girlfriend] is pretty peeved."

Lyvonnia Copeland, 40, the mother of his three kids, declined to comment yesterday.

Coleman said he's been dogged by drug addiction, and that at the time of the shooting, "I didn't think about it."

"That's just the life I was living back then," he said. "I started to wonder if all the bad things that happened to me in my life were karma for what I did . . . you start to think 'My happiness is because of someone else's sadness.'

"I thought that if I turned myself in, it might give me closure."
Well, iut's definitely closure on that rap career.
NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly called Coleman's motivations "uncertain -- maybe he had a pang of conscience," but said: "We'll take it any way we can get it."

No comments: