Friday, June 27, 2008

Headline of the Week: 'Tigers' Inge loses battle with pillow, placed on DL'

Brandon Inge will never live this one down.
For the past three weeks or so, the rigors of baseball couldn't aggravate Brandon Inge's side injury enough for him to be placed on the disabled list.

What those rigors couldn't accomplish, a pillow did.

"It was the stupidest, most freakish thing," Inge said Wednesday, explaining why he had just been placed on the 15-day DL with the pulled side muscle (oblique) he suffered 3 1/2 weeks ago.

"I have a 3-year-old son who sleeps in the bed with my wife and me," Inge said. "I was trying to push the pillow down behind his head (two nights ago), and when I did ... I repopped (the strained muscle).

"You take swings in baseball, and it's not as bad as pushing a pillow down."

Upon hearing this story, manager Jim Leyland said, "That's a first."

No comments: