Tuesday, May 27, 2008

BBC Fawns Over Pakistan's Most Wanted Terrorist

The BBC seems to take great pride in being invited to interview Pakistan's most dangerous terrorist, Baitullah Mehsud, as they prominently announce on the web site "By Invitation Only". The article then goes on to list Mehsud's greatest hits, so to speak, such as the assasination of Benazir Bhutto.

This sure seems to be a strange way of describing the meeting.
With such a reputation, it is not surprising that there is a sense of awe as this short, plump, bearded man greets us.
I don't think I would use the word awe. Fear, trepidation, uneasiness, maybe, but I don't think awe would be in there.

The interview concludes with this quote from Mehsud.
"There can be no deal with the US."
I say good deal and I take him at his word. Now I don't know if the Obammessiah wants to sit down and talk to this learned and very religious man, but me personally, I would pick up the hotline to the Pentagon and tell them to warm up the B-52's.

Of course, the story has plenty of references to the usual accusations they use against our military. You know, things like innocent people's homes being bombed and stores being destroyed. Just remember, those same people trotted out for the interviews to tell of the destruction are also these people.
In our garden meeting, "Amir Sahib" (honoured leader) - as Baitullah Mehsud is affectionately called by his men - smiles and shakes his head when this query is raised.

Around us, dozens of militants armed to the teeth listen intently to their leader.

No comments: